The importance of project management is increasing every passing day. It is predicted that almost every task of several organizations will be projected by 2025. Earlier, many business leaders think that is project management really worth it implementing. But stats show that companies grow better and have implemented project management in their business compared to those who have not implemented it. It also ensures what is being delivered and what is right for the organization. So it is important to keep pace with the trends if you are interested in understanding the benefits of project management.
Project management is essential to an organization’s strategic moves toward market trends and movements. It helps them complete their projects within time and within budget. Investing in a good project management team is necessary as it helps them achieve their goals and stay ahead of their competitors. It also helps in fulfilling the strategic alignment of the organization. A good project management team has clear goals and objectives to focus on. So several employers are paying project managers high to make better and more profitable business operations. Therefore many people are willing to know deeply about Project managers’ roles and responsibilities to become successful professionals in this domain as it helps them encourage investing their time, money, and effort.
In this article, we will discuss the roles and responsibilities of Project managers.
Who is a Project Manager?
Before knowing about project managers, let us know about project management in short. Project management is a vast field that involves a range of specific knowledge, tools, skills, and techniques that can deliver something valuable for people. It has final deliverables that are constrained to a finite timescale and budget. Project management techniques are aimed to achieve specific goals/targets and objectives according to the project acceptance criteria within permitted parameters. Simply it is also known as the process of leading a team to complete deliverables within a set timeframe and budget.
As the name shows, A project manager is a professional responsible for all the project tasks involving organizing, planning, and executing projects while working with boundaries like time, schedule, and budget. Their main job is leading teams, defining goals, tracking project growth and work process, communicating with stakeholders, and seeing a project through to its closure. They have an understanding of what multiple projects have in common. They also better understand their vital and strategic role in how an organization can succeed, learn, change, and grow. Project managers use many project management tools and techniques to get succeeded. Let us know in detail what they do actually to perform their role.
Project manager- Roles and Responsibilities
It is known that project managers are responsible for the project’s success and failure. So they play a vital role in an organization to get their goals in time. They are responsible for several small and big projects to ensure everything is going in the right way to deliver something of value. The following are some important responsibilities they have to perform as a lead role in their organization.
- Planning for the Project- The very first step project managers have to take is to make a solid plan for the project and then develop the main project idea. They have to work with clients and stakeholders to define the idea and take a step forward to bring it to fruition. It includes managing and setting client expectations, creating a clear project plan, setting the boundaries and scope of the project, and getting all the team members and specific tasks on a platform.
- Make The Best Possible Team- To process the pre-planned ideas, project managers work on building the best team to get the tasks done according to the planning. They make the team capable of meeting or exceeding customers’ expectations. They unite and manage individuals to make a fine-tuned project machine. They also provide guidance, training, and coaching.
- Staying On Schedule- Not only planning but staying on schedule is also a big responsibility for the project manager and their team. They are forced to do tasks on time, and within budget, so they have to follow a strict schedule for consistent regularity.
- Define The Project Cost- It is also one of the important responsibilities of project managers to plan and define the project’s cost and strike a budget. Managers predict and fix the estimated cost of every task and project and interpret it for stakeholders and the whole team.
- Coordination- Project managers work as a bridge between their organization and third-party vendors. They try to coordinate internal resources and outsiders for the flawless operations of multiple projects.
- They ensure that all the projects are delivered on time, within the scope, and within budget. They also ensure resource availability and allocation.
- They are responsible for managing changes to the project scope, project cost, and project schedule using suitable verification techniques.
- It is also an important responsibility of project managers to measure project performance using proper project management tools and techniques.
Apart from these eight key responsibilities, project managers are also in charge of the following:
- Project managers assist in the defined project objectives scope, including all relevant internal stakeholders along with ensuring technical feasibility.
- They make a progress report and take further actions to management as required. They also document it for clear details.
- Project managers always try to minimize potential risks through risk management tools and techniques.
- They meet with clients to take detailed ordering briefs and clarify the requirements of each project.
- They also ensure the quality of the project deliverables.
In fact, Project managers are responsible for the whole project lifecycle. It consists of the five important faces or processes- Initiating, planning, Executing, Monitoring and Controlling, and the last Closing of the project. In short, Project Managers are leaders of the projects who help organizations reach their goals smoothly. They do several important tasks to perform their duties and achieve what they want. So becoming a successful project manager requires a lot of skills and determination to stay respectful and responsible for your job.