You’d be surprised how many things in your kitchen can make you sick. If you keep getting sick but can’t find the culprit, it’s time to check the kitchen.
Even if you aren’t sick, it’s good to be familiar with the most dangerous kitchen items. Surprisingly, they aren’t your kitchen knives.
In this article, we’ll give you information on some of the most common things in your kitchen that can make you ill. We’ll also give you advice on how to prevent that from happening.
Mold is a sneaky form of fungus.
Normally, you won’t even know that mold is there. It starts to form inside the walls.
If there’s mold inside your house, get ready for renovation. Unfortunately, mold means you won’t be able to use your kitchen for a very long time.
The primary symptom of mold-related illness is coughing. Children and people with asthma are particularly prone to lung infections from mold.
If you keep coughing and can’t figure out why, it’s worth checking out if there’s mold.
Living in a house infested with mold can have long-term health effects.
Kitchens are full of other types of mold that won’t require remodeling.
To prevent mold from forming, regularly clean your cupboards and dishes. Mold grows in damp, dirty areas.
Clean behind the trash can and in places you normally wouldn’t check.
- Dirty Dishes
Bacteria will start to collect on dirty dishes.
Even dishes that have been cleaned but not used in a long time gather dust. The best way to keep your dishes clean is, unsurprisingly, to clean them regularly.
This can be a pain if you don’t have a dishwasher, but it beats being sick.
Make sure to clean the dishes you don’t use very often or don’t think about cleaning as often.
That dirty bong hanging out in the corner might look alright to use, but it could actually be the reason you’re sick.
Here is information from Veriheal on the dangers of dirty bong water.
Dishes that are hard to clean are usually the main culprits.
If you have real silverware, keep it well-polished to prevent it from rusting.
- Cleaning Products
This might seem like a surprising thing to have on the list.
After all, cleaning products are supposed to help you keep things clean. Right?
Cleaning products won’t make you sick so long as you are using them right.
Most people don’t wash their sponges, towels, and rags enough.
This allows bacteria to develop inside the surfaces. Sponges in particular are breeding grounds for mold and bacteria.
If you regularly clean your towels and other utensils, you could be allergic to some of the products.
Some people suffer from citrus allergies without ever knowing it. If your cleaning product has an orange or lemon scent, get tested for a citrus intolerance.
Most cleaning products have a long shelf life, but not all of them.
It could also be that you are using too much cleaning product. Soap is not a healthy thing to eat.
If you’re not rinsing your dishes well, you could accidentally be eating too much soap. This will give you a stomach ache.
- Unclean Surfaces
Bacteria and viruses live on surfaces for longer than you think.
Most kitchen sinks actually have more bacteria in them than toilets.
You should clean out your sink at least once a day and do a deep cleaning every week.
Make sure to clean the faucet and other surfaces you don’t usually think about.
The inside of your fridge is an excellent place for mold to grow.
Air out your fridge on a regular basis to prevent bacteria from gathering.
- Bad Food
Some of the food you’re eating could be bad without you even knowing it.
This list from Eat This, Not That is a good overview of which foods are most likely to go bad quickly.
Eating expired food can have major health consequences.
Eggs, milk, and other animal products are things you need to be extra careful with.
Salmonella poisoning is unfortunately very common but easily preventable.
Before investing in expensive medical care, check around your house. There could be a simple solution to your problem.