Hair forms an important part of one’s personality. However, with changing lifestyles, increased stress and non-nutritional diets, people are experiencing increasingly damaged hair. Hair loss has become a major concern for over 50% of the world’s population. There are several factors that are responsible for hair loss, including genetics, hormonal changes, medications, etc. Some of these factors, in combination, result in temporary or permanent hair loss. Dealing with hair loss can be frustrating. As humans, we look for simple solutions on grocery store shelves, but there is no guarantee that commercially available products are beneficial.
Thankfully, there are many medical treatments available to fix this condition. Hair replacement and transplantation are among some of the most popular hair loss treatments. Hair replacement includes non-invasive methods such as wigs, etc. These are, however, temporary methods to hide thinning hair. The most popular procedure for a permanent solution for regrowing hair is hair transplantation. The process involves the removal of hair follicles from different parts of the body or head and then be planted into the areas of the head which are balding. The main objective of hair transplants is to promote hair growth in areas of the scalp that are unable to do so. In addition to this, there are other advantages of hair transplantation.
Who Needs Hair Transplantation
When hair starts thinning, it also reduces the morale and self-esteem of a person. It invokes a feeling of old age in people’s minds. In order to get rid of this looming feeling, those suffering from hair loss should consider undergoing a hair transplant. Ideally, three categories of people should consider getting hair transplantation done-
- Men who suffer from male pattern baldness
- Anyone suffering from hair loss due to injury was borne on the scalp
- Women with receding a hairline
Procedure for Hair Transplant
There are three main methods through which doctors and cosmetologists do hair transplantation. These procedures are painless as the doctor uses general or local anaesthesia before fully starting the procedure. Other than the prick of the needle, the patient rarely feels anything.
- Follicular Unit Transplantation-This is the conventional technique used for hair transplantation. In FUT, strips of skin with hair follicles are taken from the donor area. These are then separated into individual hair follicles and implanted into the holes made in the receiving area.
- Follicular Unit Extraction– This procedure is similar to FUT with one main difference. In FUT, strips of hair follicles are taken and placed on the scalp. However, in FUV, patches of skin are taken from the donor area to be implanted on the thinning scalp.
- Direct hair implantation– Perhaps the most advanced method of hair transplantation, this method involves no cuts or incisions. Instead, a pen-like instrument called Choi is used to remove the hair and insert the follicles in the transplanted area. Find hair transplant clinics where DHI is performed as it is the most advanced of all three procedures.
Benefits of Hair Transplant
Once you know the main methods used for this procedure, you would obviously want to know how it benefits you and judge its worthiness. Many advantages come with hair transplant surgery, some of which are listed below.
- It is a permanent remedy as compared to topical and medicinal treatment. Other methods such as hair weaving are also available but are more suitable for those with mild hair loss. Hair transplant surgery, however, is best suitable for those with severe hair loss and who are looking for more permanent solutions.
- Hair is an important part of one’s appearance. People with low hair density or baldness often experience a reduction in their self-confidence as they are not satisfied with their overall natural appearance. Hair transplantation as a method helps fill patches of the scalp naturally. Eventually, the individual feels a lot more confident about themselves as they have a higher opinion of their appearance.
- One of the hidden benefits of hair transplantation is it is a low maintenance solution. One has to use medicated shampoos and conditioners or visit their stylist regularly with other methods. All these add to the cost of maintenance which has to be borne throughout the year. A hair transplant is a one-time solution that triggers the natural growth of hair follicles. Most importantly, the patient has no need to use special shampoos and conditioners to maintain their hair density. This also makes hair transplant a more cost-effective solution than others.
- The results of hair transplants are more natural-looking than hair replacement methods. Since the original hair follicles of an individual are taken and then treated, the resulting look is exactly like the patient’s natural hair.
There are many other benefits of undergoing a hair transplant procedure. The most important of all, however, is an enhanced appearance that boosts the person’s self-esteem and confidence. Now that you are aware of the need, procedure and benefits of hair transplant, you should be feeling a little less anxious about the procedure if you are getting or considering getting one. To know more about the procedure, consult with a doctor today.